Thursday, September 1, 2011

D. H. Lawrence Poetry

To Women, As Far As I'm Concerned

The feelings I don't have I don't have.
The feelings I don't have, I won't say I have.
The feelings you say you have, you don't have.
The feelings you would like us both to have, we
neither of us have.
The feelings people ought to have, they never have.
If people say they've got feelings, you may be pretty
sure they haven't got them
So if you want either of us to feel anything at all
you'd better abandon all idea of feelings altogether.



A White Blossom

A tiny moon as white and small as a single jasmine flower
Leans all alone above my window, on night's wintry bower,
Liquid as lime-tree blossom, soft as brilliant water or rain
She shines, the one white love of my youth, which all sin cannot stain.

Cherry Robbers

Under the long, dark boughs, like jewels red
In the hair of an Eastern girl
Shine strings of crimson cherries, as if had bled
Blood-drops beneath each curl.

Under the glistening cherries, with folded wings
Three dead birds lie:
Pale-breasted throstles and a blackbird, robberlings
Stained with red dye.

Under the haystack a girl stands laughing at me,
With cherries hung round her ears--
Offering me her scarlet fruit: I will see
If she has any tears.

2 comments:

Bellezza said...

I don't know much about D. H. Lawrence (didn't he write Sons and Lovers?) but I enjoyed the poems you posted and I love the 'antique' photograph of the girl. She's so lovely.

Ally said...

Indeed, he is the writer of "Sons and Lovers" and other rather controversial books of that time (Lady Chatterley's Lover). I read these two and The Rainbow back in college, but now I rediscovered him with his poems and beautiful short stories :)
I am sure you'll also love the stories:)